Looking for a new recipe to try on #NationalChiliDay? We have you covered! The Catering Team at the Pacific National Exhibition have come up with an amazing and healthy Chili recipe for everyone! Give it a try and let us know what you think on social media! @PNE_Playland (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 TB tomato paste
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) fire-roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 540 ml can black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled/seeded, and cubed into ½ inch pieces
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, hot sauce, cilantro, jalapeno for topping, optional
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high until hot.
- Add onion and garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sugar, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, and coriander. Stir to combine, 10 seconds.
- Add ground turkey to pot and sprinkle 1 tsp salt over it; cook/stir to break up into small pieces. When turkey is cooked through, add tomato paste and stir 30 seconds.
- Add bell peppers, fire-roasted tomatoes with juices, and broth. Scrape bottom of pan while stirring.
- Bring chili to a simmer; simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add beans and squash.
- Bring chili back to a simmer and simmer covered another 20 minutes or just until squash is tender but not mushy.
- Remove from heat. Add additional salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Incorporate additional toppings to taste.
Tell us what you thought of the recipe in the comment section below or on social media: @PNE_Playland