This past weekend at the Pacific Coliseum we had the pleasure of hosting the Monster Jam – Triple Threat Series! We had 8 Monster Truck drivers competing in 3 different events for the Triple Threat title. The Monster Trucks that tore up the Pacific Coliseum were: Monster Mutt Dalmatian, Grave Digger, N.E.A, Mohawk Warrior, Scooby-Doo, Max-D, El Toro Loco and Zombie!
In preparation for Monster Jam we had over 100 dump truck loads of soil loaded into the Pacific Coliseum. A total of 1200 cubic meters of soil, weighing a massive 1800 tons was needed to cover and protect the Coliseum floor. 1 Excavator, 1 Bull-dozer, 1 Front end loader and 2 bobcats were used to move the soil and build the jumps for this amazing event! Check out the time-lapse video below of the soil being loaded into the Coliseum!
Prior to the 1:00pm show on Saturday, guests were invited to come see the trucks and meet the drivers during the Pit Pass Party! We had over 2500 people attend the Pit Pass Party which made it one of the largest arena Pit Pass Party events! Take a look at the Pit Pass Party time-lapse video below!
Looking for plans this Sunday? You’ve come to the right place! The Hastings Park Farmers Market gets underway this Sunday from 10:00am to 2:00pm in Hastings Park! Come check out Fruit Guy Farms for some great local produce, Old Country Frozen Pierogi for some delicious Pierogis or Six Legs Good Apiaries for East Vancouver produced honey and beeswax!
NEW this week at the Farmers Market: Freshly picked Daffodils from Warmerdam Specialty Daffodils and Tulips from The Promise Land Farm! If you’re looking to put a smile on someone’s face, these are the flowers for you!
For more information on the Hastings Park Farmers Market or to find a Farmers Market near you check out: www.eatlocal.org
For a map of the Hastings Park Farmers Market and a list of all the vendors coming this weekend, please visit: http://maps.managemymarket.com/2256
Don’t forget to follow @VanMarkets on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to stay informed about all the Vancouver Farmers Markets!
Looking for a new recipe to try on #NationalChiliDay? We have you covered! The Catering Team at the Pacific National Exhibition have come up with an amazing and healthy Chili recipe for everyone! Give it a try and let us know what you think on social media! @PNE_Playland (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 7 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 TB chili powder
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 TB tomato paste
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) fire-roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 1 540 ml can black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled/seeded, and cubed into ½ inch pieces
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, avocado, hot sauce, cilantro, jalapeno for topping, optional
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high until hot.
- Add onion and garlic, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add sugar, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, and coriander. Stir to combine, 10 seconds.
- Add ground turkey to pot and sprinkle 1 tsp salt over it; cook/stir to break up into small pieces. When turkey is cooked through, add tomato paste and stir 30 seconds.
- Add bell peppers, fire-roasted tomatoes with juices, and broth. Scrape bottom of pan while stirring.
- Bring chili to a simmer; simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add beans and squash.
- Bring chili back to a simmer and simmer covered another 20 minutes or just until squash is tender but not mushy.
- Remove from heat. Add additional salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Incorporate additional toppings to taste.
Tell us what you thought of the recipe in the comment section below or on social media: @PNE_Playland